Ease of Doing Business in


Denmark Download Profile (1691.4KB, pdf)
Region OECD high income
Income Category High income
Population 5,676,002
GNI Per Capita (US$) 58,590
City covered Copenhagen



DB 2017 Rank



DB 2017 DTF (% points)

  • local_library
  • group
Topics DB 2017 Rank DB 2016 Rank info_outline Change in Rank DB 2017 DTF (% points) info_outline DB 2016 DTF (% points) info_outline Change in DTF (% points) info_outline
Overall 3 2 down
84.87 84.85 down
Starting a Business 24 22 down
94.07 94.04 up
Dealing with Construction Permits 6 6
84.69 84.63 up
Getting Electricity 14 12 down
90.20 90.19 up
Registering Property 12 9 down
89.88 89.88
Getting Credit 32 29 down
70.00 70.00
Protecting Minority Investors 19 15 down
71.67 71.67
Paying Taxes 7 7
92.11 92.11
Trading across Borders 1 1
100.00 100.00
Enforcing Contracts 24 25 up
71.23 71.23
Resolving Insolvency 8 9 up
84.86 84.78 up

DB 2017 Rank:


DB 2016 Rank:


Change in Rank:


DB 2017 DTF (% points):


DB 2016 DTF (% points):


Change in DTF (% points):


Estimated value of warehouse DKK 17,931,753
City Copenhagen
Indicator Denmark OECD high income
Procedures (number) info_outline 7 12.1
Time (days) info_outline 64 152.1
Cost (% of warehouse value) info_outline 1.8 1.6
Building quality control index (0-15) info_outline 10 11.3
  • Measure of efficiency
    No. Procedure Time to Complete Associated Costs

    Request and obtain building permit from the Municipality

    Agency: Municipality

    The request for a building permit must include:
    • Identification of the property
    • Drawing materials showing the development's total volume
    • Assessment of the development's overall impact on the environment (situation plan and sectional drawing)
    • Information about the development's appearance (facade drawing)
    • Information on use of the building, land, apartment number and settlement rate
    • Information on the plot size, height and distance conditions, location of adjacent or surrounding buildings
    • Information for the registration at the Building and Housing Register
    • Fire protection and sewage

    To process the warehouse permit application, the authorities will check all relevant documents. Thus, the entire process is covered by a single procedure that covers examining the area plan, checking plans and drawings, checking the lot plan, securing the Fire Department's permission, issuing a temporary building permit, issuing the structural engineer certificate, checking the rain water drainage, and checking building compliance with the Real Estate Registry’s regulations and requirements for registration and specific projects.

    On this basis, the authorities themselves will check whether the construction complies with area plans and relevant legislation, particularly legislation on fire protection. The authorities may conduct on-site inspections before issuing a permit, but this is not done on a regular basis.

    Since December 1, 2014 this procedure can be completed online at the following website: https://www.kk.dk/byggeri.

    Since January 1, 2015 the municipality of Copenhagen has changed its local fee to 800 DKK per hour.

    21 days DKK 134,400

    Obtain foundation permit from Municipality

    Agency: Municipality

    Once the building permit has been issued by the Municipality, the foundation permit will be issued within 7 -- 30 days.

    15 days no charge

    Notify the Centre for Construction of commencement of work

    Agency: Centre for Construction

    Before the start of construction, a form must be completed and sent to the Centre for Construction to notify them about the commencement of construction work (section 1.4 (1) of the Building Regulations). Once the Center for Construction is notified, the construction work can begin. The form can be downloaded at: http://www.kk.dk/indhold/overblik-over-blanketter
    and sent by e-mail to tilsyn@tmf.kk.dk.

    0.5 days no charge

    Receive construction inspection from the Supervising Authorities

    Agency: Supervising Authorities (Sewage, Fire, or Safety-at-Work Authorities)

    During the construction process, the Municipality does not generally inspect construction. Only larger constructions will be inspected by the Centre for Construction 1-2 times during the construction process in terms of fire safety, load-bearing constructions and other construction requirements, but not necessarily with respect to the structure of the building. In general, approximately 20% of constructions are inspected by the Centre for Construction while the remaining 80% will not receive an inspection in relation to the building permit.

    Furthermore, inspections can be carried out by the relevant fire, sewerage or worker safety authorities. Such inspections are carried out without prior notice. They do not generally pose delays barring lack of compliance with relevant legislation.

    1 day no charge

    Send notice of completion to the Centre for Construction

    Agency: Centre for Construction

    According to section 1.8 of the Building Regulations, in order to request an occupancy permit, a completion notice must be submitted to the Centre for Construction.

    0.5days no charge

    Receive final inspection and obtain occupancy permit

    Agency: Municipality

    To grant the occupancy permit, the authorities primarily check fire protection and compliance with other construction requirements. This is done by one inspection normally carried out during one day and that can normally be initiated within a few weeks of submitting the application. Time may vary greatly, depending on compliance with relevant legislation. If the building complies with the regulations, in most municipalities the occupancy permit may be obtained in a few weeks.

    21days no charge

    Request and obtain connection to water and sewage

    Agency: HOFOR A/S

    HOFOR A/S is the agency responsible for the supply of water and sewerage connection in Copenhagen. Application for sewage connection must be done 4 weeks prior to connection. After the application for a water supply line has been submitted, an invoice of the full cost must be paid (76,375.00 per 800 square meters or part thereof for water, plus 59,630.81 per 800 square meters or part thereof for sewerage, (including 25% VAT). After payment, the supply line will be connected to the property. The connection from the supply line and into the building is then made by an independent constructor. This will cost DKK 10,000.

    5 days DKK 186,889

  • Measure of quality
    Answer Score
    Building quality control index (0-15) 10.0
    Quality of building regulations index (0-2) 2.0
    How accessible are building laws and regulations in your economy? (0-1) Available online; Free of charge. 1.0
    Which requirements for obtaining a building permit are clearly specified in the building regulations or on any accessible website, brochure or pamphlet? (0-1) List of required documents; Fees to be paid; Required preapprovals. 1.0
    Quality control before construction index (0-1) 1.0
    Which third-party entities are required by law to verify that the building plans are in compliance with existing building regulations? (0-1) Licensed architect. 1.0
    Quality control during construction index (0-3) 3.0
    What types of inspections (if any) are required by law to be carried out during construction? (0-2) Inspections by in-house engineer; Risk-based inspections. 2.0
    Do legally mandated inspections occur in practice during construction? (0-1) Mandatory inspections are always done in practice. 1.0
    Quality control after construction index (0-3) 3.0
    Is there a final inspection required by law to verify that the building was built in accordance with the approved plans and regulations? (0-2) Yes, final inspection is done by government agency; Yes, in-house engineer submits report for final inspection. 2.0
    Do legally mandated final inspections occur in practice? (0-1) Final inspection always occurs in practice. 1.0
    Liability and insurance regimes index (0-2) 1.0
    Which parties (if any) are held liable by law for structural flaws or problems in the building once it is in use (Latent Defect Liability or Decennial Liability)? (0-1)  No party is held liable under the law. 0.0
    Which parties (if any) are required by law to obtain an insurance policy to cover possible structural flaws or problems in the building once it is in use (Latent Defect Liability Insurance or Decennial Insurance)? (0-1) No party is required by law to obtain insurance ; Insurance is commonly taken in practice. 1.0
    Professional certifications index (0-4) 0.0
    What are the qualification requirements for the professional responsible for verifying that the architectural plans or drawings are in compliance with existing building regulations? (0-2) University degree in architecture or engineering. 0.0
    What are the qualification requirements for the professional who supervises the construction on the ground? (0-2) University degree in engineering, construction or construction management. 0.0