DB News - 7th Issue, Nov 2011
DBNews, published semiannually, is a platform for exchanging information and ideas among the ever-growing community of Doing Business contributors across the world.
Thank you Doing Business 2012 Contributors!
Thank you for contributing your expertise and time to the Doing Business report. Your dedication to the project is inspiring and we truly could not publish this important research without your support.
We also appreciate your responsiveness to our follow-up questions via telephone and email.
Download Doing Business 2012
This year's report was published on Oct. 20 and is now available for download! Your hard work on Doing Business surveys contributed to both the data and analysis. You'll soon be receiving a copy of the full report and a certificate of appreciation.
New features in this year's report:
- For the first time, the Getting Electricity indicator is included in the global rankings. A new measure shows that over the past 6 years, 94% of 174 economies covered by Doing Business have made their regulatory environment more business-friendly.
- Your responses to our research questions provide new information on transparency and access to information.
- The Executive Summary is now available in Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
Governments in Asia learn from each others’ business regulation experiences
Several economies in the East Asia region asked the World Bank to facilitate a "learn and share" event on business regulation reforms. Malaysia co-hosted a two-day East Asia peer-to-peer learning workshop in March 2011. Over 110 high level government officials and private sector stakeholders from eight economies attended (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, New Zealand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam, as well as international organizations such as APEC).
Sub-national and sub-regional Doing Business reports capture differences in business regulations and their enforcement across locations within a single country or region. Recent report launches include:
- Doing Business in Juba 2011: In the weeks before Southern Sudan's independence, the World Bank and IFC launched Doing Business in Juba 2011 as the first assessment of business regulations in Southern Sudan's capital.
- Doing Business in South East Europe 2011: This report launched in June as the second in a series that analyses the ease of doing business in 22 cities from seven economies: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, and Serbia.
- Doing Business in the East African Community 2011: Launched in August 2011, this report takes a detailed look at business regulations in the East African Community (EAC) -- Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Women, Business and the Law 2012: Removing Barriers to Economic Inclusion
The Global Indicators and Analysis unit that produces the Doing Business reports launched Women, Business and the Law 2012 in September 2011. The report presents indicators based on laws and regulations affecting women's prospects as entrepreneurs and employees. Thirty-six economies reduced legal differences between men and women in the past two years. However, 103 out of 141 economies studied still impose legal differences on the basis of gender. Thank you to the many Doing Business contributors who also contributed to this gender report. If you wish to become a contributor to Women, Business and the Law, please email: DBNews@worldbank.org.